Faculty: Apply for Open Textbook Workshop
WSU Libraries and Academic Outreach and Innovation are pleased to announce a workshop led by Open Textbook Library. This workshop introduces the concept of open textbooks, their potential benefits, and strategies for finding and incorporating them into courses.
When: Monday, March 6, 2-4 p.m.
Where: Center for Digital Scholarship and Curation (4th floor, Holland Library)
Workshop participants will be asked to write a short review of an Open Textbook Library textbook in their field following the workshop. Open Textbook Library is an initiative of the University of Minnesota that is invested in making it simpler for faculty members to find and evaluate open textbooks that have been shared by the educational community.
In exchange for completing a review of a textbook found in Open Textbook Library, workshop participants will receive a $200 stipend. Note that funding will be provided only to WSU instructors who complete reviews but all are welcome to attend the workshop.
Why Open Textbooks?
- Seven out of ten students don’t purchase a required textbook during their academic career because of cost.
- Undergraduate students have been advised to budget on average $1,249 – $1,364 for textbooks and supplies in 2015–16.
- The cost of commercial textbooks is rising at four times the inflation rate.
- 60% of students have delayed purchasing textbooks until they’ve received their financial aid.
Open textbooks can help benefit students academically and financially
- Open textbooks are freely available online and can be used in whole or part at no cost to students.
- Open textbooks are typically written by professors and other scholars in their fields of expertise. These efforts are increasingly subsidized by educational institutions, not-for-profits, and federal or state government.
How to participate in the workshop
Apply for the workshop by filling out this form. Please complete your application on or before February 1, 2017. Please note that open textbooks are not available for all subjects and course levels, so you will be asked to check textbook availability when you submit your application.
Questions about the workshop? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This workshop is sponsored by the WSU Libraries, Academic Outreach and Innovation, and the Office of the Provost.
WSU Open Textbook Workshop
(Application deadline is Feb. 1, 2017)